Category Archives: In the Community

TD Bank Growth in Bethesda!

It has been interesting to see the growth of TD Bank in Bethesda and the surrounding area. At a time when many banks are closing down branches or limiting their hours, it makes a nice change to see a bank opening new offices and increasing their hours of operation.

We have been wondering what TD Bank is seeing that their competitors are not – is this a recognition that there is a market for face to face banking? Hopefully.

Is this a smart play at a time when money is cheap and real estate acquisition opportunities are available? Possibly.

Any insights would be appreciated but regardless of the rational we’d like to welcome TD Bank to the neighborhood and note that we appreciate their LEED certified builings:

DSC00047

Reflections on Last Weeks Shooting

I wanted to let a few days pass before I posted a note on the tragic shootings last week in Bethesda and Silver Spring. First, and most importantly, our thoughts are with the victims and their families. Such senseless acts of violence have become all too common and, after last weeks acts, it is clear we are not immune here in Bethesda. 

When you have been through a scary situation like this I feel that it is important to note that there were many people who stepped up and tried to make things a bit better. In particular there are 3-4 groups of people who deserve our thanks:

1. law enforcement – who acted quickly and bravely to bring the accused to justice

2. school teachers and administrators throughout the county who quickly implemented lock downs to try and protect our children

3. medical staff – dealing with the victims of the shootings to try and save lives

4. security staff throughout the county that assisted law enforcement in locking down gov buildings, schools etc.

It is very hard to see anything good coming out of this incident…maybe it will encourage our elected officials to push for better mental health care and tighter gun laws? I hope so but am not sure.

So I will end this post by thanking those who reacted and hoping those who can reduce the number of these incidents will do their jobs a little bit better.

A Cold Valentine’s Day in Bethesda

Well folks, it promises to be a cold Valentine’s day this year and here at Bethesda Actually we started to think about ways to make it a tad bit more enjoyable. And then the answer came to us…Soup!

What better way to spend Valentine’s day than enjoying a warm bowl of soup with your significant other, family and/ or friends?

Here are our top three list of places in Bethesda to get a warm bowl of soup this Sunday (or any day this week to be honest):

1. Kadhai Bethesda has many warming dishes on the menu, our personal recommendations are the Daal Takha or Daal Makhin – both are absolutely delightful.

haandi

2. Satsuma Bethesda – our favorites Japanese restaurant in the metro area has many wonderful noodle soups. Our favorite is the Udon Noodle soup!

sushi spring

3. La Madeline Bethesda makes the list in part due to their lovely soups but also the promise of enjoying the soup if front of a warm fire.

What are your favorite places in Bethesda to have soup?

Battery Park Update

Folks,

There will be another hearing (later in Feb) on the proposed road through Battery Park – will get the details posted asap!

bethesda actually snow pic 5

Grosvenor Heights

Friends,

As noted yesterday I visited the site for a new town home development in Bethesda (on Grosvenor lane) called Grosvenor Heights. It is a 33 acre space tucked away close to Grosvenor metro/ 270 access and reasonably close to Wildwood Shopping Center.

The 33 acre space is interesting because it includes a historic property or two + a small office building that seems to be reserved for environmental orgs. It is surrounded by trees and vegetation (and apparently their are efforts to work on increasing native vegetation).

The town home community itself is just being built. The properties will range in price from 1.1 million (approx) to just under 1.4 million (approx) and will have a lot of terrific features including roof terraces and elevators.

I had a very good discussion with the staff there and am happy to set up a private hard hat tour/ viewing if that is of interest to readers of this blog. As ever, you can email me raj@rajabout.com or call at 240 486 3921

I took a few snaps to showcase the work so far and also a map of the area:

grosvenor heights 1 grosvenor heights 3

Film Festival Bethesda!

Imitation Game is the last one!

movie night

Live Norfolk Condominiums

I recently popped by the site of the new Norfolk Condominium project (7770 Norfolk) and was pleased to see that they are making really good progress. The building infrastructure seems to be quite far along and the site itself was humming with activity. It is a bit early to discuss the details of the project but I did want to make a few basic points.

First, the location of this condo project is fantastic – nestled in fast developing “old” Bethesda, the Norfolk condos are across the street from the fountain at Veterans triangle ensuring that the residents are a stone throwing distance from:
Bold Bite, BGR, Jetties, Tastee Diner, Woodmont Grill, Black’s Kitchen and a whole lot more! They will be able to enjoy the summer music of Veteran’s triangle, stroll down Norfolk to other restaurants and the summer outdoor film series AND will be on the Bethesda Circulator route.

Second, prices for the units are geared towards a larger swath of the population than some other recent projects. With units scheduled to start in the $400-$500K range there are going to be good opportunities for buyers.

Third, with the increase in rental prices in the surrounding area – buying may well be a better option for many looking to remain in Bethesda while living in a high end building.

There is lots more to say about this project but for now I wanted to point out that if you are interested in looking/ possibly buying a condo in the Bethesda area (including new projects like 7770 Norfolk) feel free to drop me an email at raj@rajabout.com or give me a call at (240)48-3921.

I’d be happy to assist you with all your real estate needs (for all my contact info you can also look to the right of the blog).

7770 norfolk next door to starbucks

Coffee and Real Estate Bethesda

We are seeing incredible changes in the real estate sector in Bethesda (and the broader area). New projects are seeing the development of high end apartment buildings, condominiums, town home and single family homes. Additionally, there are substantial changes in the commercial real estate area and these are impacting where people want to live and the space that they need.

As regular readers of this blog know, in my day job I am a real estate professional (associate broker/ realtor with Coldwell Banker RB Bethesda licensed in MD, DC and VA), so I am tracking these changes a lot more closely than your average resident. My take is that the new inventory coming onto the market, coupled with the rehab and tear down boom, is a real benefit to buyers BUT these buyers need to have a very clear sense of what their broad real estate/life goals are before they commit to a purchase.

I am going to be holding a few small coffee gatherings with people interested in buying or selling in Bethesda (and the broader Washington, DC metro market). We are going to chat about the market, the opportunities for investment and some of the big changes in the area that buyers and sellers need to know about.

If you are interested in joining one of these coffee sessions, drop me an email at raj@rajabout.com and put “RSVP coffee and real estate” in the subject line.

Cheers!

Over 450 Residents Signed Petitions Against Road in Battery Park

There was a really big push against the road – which was wonderful to see. A few nice quotes here.

One of the most eloquent speakers was Paul Hanos who stated:

“Who benefits from this? Not the people that live around here…Not the folks who are living in Bethesda and using the park.”

Update on Proposed Road Through Battery Park

As you know the County is looking to put a road through Battery Park. The community is rallying to urge them to reconsider and the story is picking up press attention. The online petition has topped a 100 signatures and various groups from day care center (parents and staff), cross fit athletes, dog walking club members etc. are all registering their disapproval with the plan.

The road is not needed to connect the community with the rest of Bethesda as there are bike and foot paths to do so.

Further, the damage to one of the few places in Bethesda where kids can run free would be immense.

The County leadership needs to think long and hard – is this really the best use of tax payer dollars?